Weather: Uniting Nations Row will have light 7-17 kt winds from the East North East / North East with 4-5 ft seas. Pacific Terrific and Cockleshell Pacific Endeavour will have 17-19 kt winds from the North East with 6-8 ft seas.
Today we will start with our Royal Marines on Cockleshell Pacific Endeavour. We have received a rather lengthy updated (which is unusual from Mick and Sparky). They tell us that …
“A hacksaw and some bits of carbon fiber has been found near Rocky’s bedding, so suspicions are running that he had something to do with the oars breaking. Besides, the last thing that Sparky remembers before planting his nose on Bojangles was a furry grip on his big toe and the distinct smell of herring.
Rocky remains under strict surveillance, knowing he may not have forgiven his human shipmates since the unannounced rollover test [part of the scrutineering process back in Monterey prior to their departure].
Otherwise, all is well on Bojangles. Sparky has proven to be a good sport about it all, certainly pulling his weight in the expedition. Best partner I could have hoped for” said Mick.
Apparently Rocky is not the only animal that has been attacking lately. Over on Pacific Terrific, Cazz “had a whole load of squid launch themselves out of the water this morning on sunrise shift and hit her!!” Our response to this was that it is only a matter of time before the flying fish will add to this threat coming from the water.
We have some additional updates from our team on Pacific Terrific. They have made a few lists of some favorite things and here were a few of our favorites from their list.
Things we miss/talk about constantly
- FOOD. Cazz wants cucumber and hummus, Megan wants a caprese salad and beer, El wants basically everything that isn’t on the boat. Mainly a roast dinner, all the sandwiches, pastries and everything from the bakery!
- Beds… 2 of us in the stern cabin is a squeeze, sleeping bags are a bit damp, pillows and soft sheets sound like an absolute dream!
- walking… despite doing 12+ hours of rowing each a day we haven’t walked in over a month, our poor legs are feeling a bit left out!
- Swimming in the Pacific – when else do you get to jump in the water and swim so far from land? Plus it’s nice to stretch and move your body in a way that isn’t rowing!! Thanks Sharkbanz for helping us feel a little bit safer from the sharks we know are out there!!
- Sunny days! These have been a little sparse but when we do get one morale is high, tanning occurs and I’m pretty sure the boat moves a lot faster!
- Phish – our friendly fish friend who lives under the boat and occasionally makes an appearance to see what dregs of food we have thrown over the side. Exciting news is that Phish has a friend that El spotted when cleaning the boat!
- Sunsets – we’ve had a grand total of zero good sunrises so far due to cloud cover but have had some good sunsets, the water goes through so many different colours as the sun sets it’s hard to not enjoy it!
- Oreos and Nutella. I’d highly recommend anyone who rows an ocean just takes these for food… food of champions and dreams!!
The entire blog where they list what they are listening to and some of their least favorite things from Cazz, Megan and Eleanor can be found HERE.
In hearing that France will advance to the World Cup finals, and will play against England or Croatia, Mick has offered to donate their 78 remaining teabags to the British soccer team when they win the championship. To be clear, Mick and Sparky estimate they will have only 78 tea bags remaining when they arrive in Waikiki. Meanwhile, over on Pacific Terrific when hearing this sporting news replied with “Fingers crossed! Can’t believe we are in the Pacific without a tv the one time England decide to remember how to play football well!”
GREAT PACIFIC RACE STANDINGS as of 19:00 (7 pm) PDT
1 Uniting Nations Row/ Isabel: ROWING – 797 NM to finish, Rowed 1506 NM
2 Pacific Terrific/ Danielle: ROWING – 1356 NM to finish, Rowed 1045 NM
3 Cockleshell Pacific Endeavour / Bojangles: ROWING – 1470 NM to finish, Rowed 949 NM
Team Attack Poverty/ Anne: RETIRED
Team Ripple Effect/ Ripple Effect: RETIRED